PAINESVILLE - The Lake County Master Gardener Volunteers and Lake County’s OSU Extension Agriculture and Natural Resources Educator Tom deHaas are taking registrations for their new Master Gardener Volunteer Training program which runs June 7 through Aug. 30 this year. The application deadline is Monday, April 3.
Master Gardener Volunteers are the OSU Extension trained volunteers empowered to educate others with timely research-based gardening information. Some of the ongoing projects of the Lake County Master Gardener Volunteers are:
• Educational field trips to gardens and nurseries
• HELPline – Assist home gardeners with research-based answers to their questions
• Juvenile Justice Center Garden - work with residents planning and harvesting a yearly garden
• Meet Us in the Garden – Conduct community educational programs and demonstrations on effective horticulture practices at the 4H building at the Lake County Fairgrounds
• Home Gardeners' Workshop – annual all-day workshop with gardening experts
• OSU Extension Peace Garden at the Fairgrounds – plan and maintain this display garden
• Provide speakers and programs to interested community groups
• And many other activities that enrich the community and the volunteers' own lives
To learn more about the 2017 OSU Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Training, attend one of the following Open Houses:
• Saturday, March 18, 11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. at Mentor Public Library, 8216 Mentor Ave., Mentor;
• Thursday, March 23, 7-8:30 at Painesville Morley Library, 184 Phelps St., Painesville.
In the past, training occurred during the winter months. With this summer training class, volunteers will have opportunities for hands-on training and activities outdoors along with trips to nurseries and vegetable farms.
For more information, contact the Lake County Master Gardener Volunteers at 440-350-2206 or the OSU Extension office at 440-350-2582. Application forms are available in the OSU Extension office located at 99 East Erie Street in Painesville and on the OSU Extension Website at http://lake.osu.edu/.